What is Atheism?
|Littered minds are
What does it mean to be truly be atheist? An atheist simply means that you do not believe in a god, but believe that the only way forward is via science and a greater understanding of it.
A great deal of my friends are atheist and some, but not all, are quite sure that being true to atheism means that you are smarter than the average Joe. I am not sure if I subscribe to that philosophy, although I am in favour of it whilst trying to understand why someone would expect the god hypothesis to be true and accurate.
There are many definitions on the web that explain what atheism is. Here are a few of them:
- The doctrine or belief that there is no god and/or a lack of belief in the existence of god or gods.
- Atheism is commonly defined as the position that there are no deities. It can also mean the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. A broader definition is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.
- Atheist – related to or characterised by or given to atheism; “atheist leanings”.
- Atheistic – rejecting any belief in gods.
- Atheist – A person without a belief in, or one who lacks belief in the existence of a god or gods; A person who believes that no gods or deities exist.
- This word comes from two Greek words, a the negator, and theos, God. Atheism teaches that there is no God of any kind, anywhere, anytime. Some atheists claim to “Excercise no belief in a god” the same way they would exercise no belief in pink unicorns.
As the title link says, “If you are an adult and have an invisible friend, this may not be the appropriate place for you”. Of course, if you are having doubts about the religion that you are entangled in, we welcome you to stay and to even debate the existence of god with us.